Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Today's the day!

As you may or may not know, I'm currently studying to be an art teacher. And in one of those wonderful education courses we're all required to take, we've been discussing the effects of technology on literacy and how teachers can use it to their advantage. And, well, it got me to thinking: back to my high school years when my friends and I all kept our LiveJournals updated on a nearly daily basis. I loved that. I took care in writing my posts and pride in them once published. I imagine I wouldn't be nearly the writer I am today without that experience. And beyond simply writing, it kept me actively reflecting, constantly musing on my existence, thinking, "what can I say about today that will entertain?" Writing helped me to work through my shit, and making my writing public committed me to writing every day, and writing well. And, hell, once I got to thinking back on my LiveJournal days, I got to missing them. I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself over the past few years, "I ought to start a blog." Well, I'm finally taking the plunge. I don't know if anyone will read it, but, as it turns out, that's not really the point.

So, since making things is just about all I do, it seemed like the appropriate focus for a blog that begs a theme. And I sincerely hope I can help you out in some way or inspire you into creative productivity, somewhere along the line. I plan to document and muse upon my productive endeavors and advise those who wish to try their own hand at them. Including, but not limited to: sewing, knitting, fabric reclamation, fabric design and other fiber arts; upholstery and furniture restoration; sourdough bread, kombucha, pickling, seltzer water, and other wild ferments; music-making; the many household uses of "crafts"; kitchen explorations and experimentation; art-making; and inspiring sources worth experiencing.

Welcome to my world; I do hope you'll enjoy your stay.

Cheers!
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment