Saturday, November 5, 2011

Papa, You Know It's Right


I've recently experienced a surge in musical inspiration. It's incredible what a little momentum can do. After trying very hard to write a song that didn't turn out so well, this one simply came to me, and I'm confident that it's my best so far. 

One morning I was getting ready for school, half-listening to a Bessie Smith record. All the way to school I had this one misremembered line stuck in my head, "Papa, you know it's right." By lunchtime it was driving me insane, singing one line over and over again in my head, so I made a whole song out of it.

The lyrics feel a bit foolish now; when I wrote it, nearly a month ago, I had recently started seeing someone who I was very excited about. But as it turns out, Papa, it wasn't right.





Enjoy!



Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment