Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Inspiration Board: Knitting Up A Storm

With the impending winter and Hurricane Sandy's threats keeping us home-bound, one can't help but dream about knitting. I am, of course, still working my way through an adorable smock dress for my cousin's no-longer-so-newborn baby. But the end is within sight, which means it's time to pick my next project.

You'd think a self-proclaimed knitter would have plenty of scarves by this point, a healthy decade into my knitting career. But I also happen to be the type to always choose the most complex and intricate project I can think of, so I phased out scarf-knitting early on. And now here I am, an accomplished knitter, wearing a scarf I found on the street. Someone left it in my bike basket last January, for some mysterious reason. Thank you, kind (or perhaps distracted) stranger.

I also have this crazy scarf:


I made it from a Basquiat painting called Onion Gum for a school project my freshman year of college. A double-knit, color-blocked and embroidered wool/mohair insanity, and a justifiable oven only to be worn comfortably in below freezing temperatures.

Jean-Michele Basquiat, Onion Gum, 1983

What I'm saying is, I want to knit myself a scarf. Or perhaps a cowl. Those are pretty cool.

So I've been exploring the wonders of Pinterest for inspiration. It's pretty cool, Pinterest is. I'm new to the game, but I'm doing my best to get up to speed. I put together a little inspiration board for you all of my favorite scarf and cowl ideas. Check out my Pinterest Board for the full shebang.





I realized too late, however, that I completely failed at collecting source information. For some reason I thought Pinterest did that automatically? My sincerest apologies to both readers and sources. I hope no one hates me for it. I'll do better next time, I promise!


(Note about that felted fox on the bottom: A few weeks ago my boyfriend was expressing discontent concerning his own scarf situation and I offered to make him one. I told him it could look however he wanted it to, and he jokingly asked if it could be a fox. I told him, sure it could. Now all of a sudden, I'm seeing these fox scarves everywhere! This just in: foxes are the new owls.)





Much love,




No comments:

Post a Comment