Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2012 in Review

I know, I know. I'm a little late. I was too busy vacationing for way longer than everyone else to even think about reflecting or resolutions, let alone posting about them. But alas, I have finally returned and I'm itching to get it all out.

2012 was a mixed bag for me. A lot of stuff sucked. And a lot of stuff rocked. A lot of change.

In December of 2011 I finally graduated from college with a BA in Art Education. Hurrah!



But (cue sad face) like the unlucky majority, I spent many months unemployed, searching for a job, feeling stuck and generally rejected. Paired with an unsavory roommate situation and repeated romantic failure, things were rocky to say the least.

It wasn't until I set aside my vision of being a high school art teacher started looking for whatever job I could get that things really turned around.

In April I started at Greenpoint shop, Kill Devil Hill, making custom aprons, repairing denim and keeping shop.


For the first time in my life I felt fairly compensated for my labor, which is a pretty awesome feeling. The owners are incredible. Honest, genuine, generous, a young couple + baby. I couldn't help but admire their lives. Making it with an adorable country shop in the city, full of local handmades, living in the apartment behind the shop in the most neighborly of Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Paired with teaching a weekly after school sewing class, occasional evening classes at the Brooklyn Brainery, and freelance sewing work, I was finally, for the first time in my life, actually earning a living. I drew comfort from finally being able to answer the "what do you do" question succinctly: seamstress and sewing teacher.

In late July I left Brooklyn for my annual sabbatical: working as a summer camp counselor at Rowe Camp, the best place on Earth.


... where this year, I just so happened to meet the love of my life. Pretty sweet, right?

Me + Figge = <3
We get along like peanut butter and jelly, he inspires me, we share a common aesthetic and desire to create, we have practically identical dreams for our future, and we simply seem to mesh in every conceivable way.

It isn't a coincidence that in October I decided to properly throw myself into my blog. Give it a new look, new energy, and dedicate myself to blogging regularly. To use my blog both as creative motivation and as a tool for expansion.


With this new dedication to blogging, I also familiarized myself with the blogging community, the existence of which I was previously unaware. Seeing what other people have done is so inspiring; it keeps the wheel ever-turning! While posting every day at first seemed daunting, it showed me how many ideas I have. I have so many ideas! Who would have known?

The hitch? I live in Brooklyn, Figge lives in Northampton, MA.

But guess what?

I've been considering moving to Northampton for years. BONUS.

In the meantime, though, living between two places has been difficult. On my bank account, on my time, on my blog, on my cats, on my relationships. But you know, love is worth it. So on the tails of the year-end also comes the close of this 6 1/2 year-long chapter of my life.

I'll miss you, Brooklyn.

Dinah and Cecil in our first home, on my sweet street finds
At the beautiful Brooklyn Botanic Gardens
At the Jalopy Theater, best folk venue in the city
On the ferry to Governor's Island for the semi-annual Jazz Age Lawn Party
With wonderful friends on our annual trip to MerleFest




No comments:

Post a Comment