Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Granny's Quilt

The other day I was, quite literally, up to my elbows in a job I recently took on--finishing my client's dead grandmother's mostly-complete quilt.

Stunning isn't it?



So there I am, stitching confidently along, when I paused to read my weekly horoscope from Chris Flisher:

"Cancer  (June 22 - July 22)
You may be up to your elbows in a project that has you stumped; but only for the time being. This process is part of the job and the job is this process. The grunt work does have value especially when you see the shiny finished product. You are deep into the detail work."

And I thought, "Gee. That couldn't possibly be more right on. Except that this project never had me stumped, silly horoscope."

Another hour or so of stitching goes by until I decided to stop and compare my work to dead grandma's work.


FLABBERGASTED. 


When I was only looking at my work, I thought it looked pretty damn good. But by comparison? Measly and pathetic! 

Touché, horoscope. Touché.


Take a look. Mine...





Hers...





I suppose it's partially the decades of practice. And, to be fair, her stitching isn't all this tiny. But seriously, how DID she do it?





With love,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment